Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Peaceful Obscurity

I decided to Google my blog this afternoon. I suppose the pressure of web life goes to your head sometimes. Anyway, to my horror, I found that the search terms "Crystal Enlightenment" bring up a few thousand sites about the joys and phenomenal healing powers of crystals. Pah. Thus, after some half-hearted clicks over to the following pages, I accepted my own macro-obscurity.

Then, as I was filling in the list of my favourite movies, I had an idea for a cartoon (the type of epiphany I most enjoy): Silence of the Lamps. So I Googled this as well, due to the nagging feeling that someone else had already thought of it. Clicky. Bingo, mocumentary on Youtube. Short but reasonably thoughtful and quirky. Alas, I crossed it out.

So I finished updating my profile and went to see the final effect. A small annotation informed me that my page had been viewed a grand total of 4 times. This sense of peace crept in and I realised I actually didn't care that my one blog entry, insightful as it may be (note: sarcasm), has no real impact upon Internetland and its merryfolk other than the space it takes up. I changed some stuff, saved it, returned to my profile to see that the view count was now at 11. The following represents the relationship between my obscurity and feeling of peace.

I don't necessarily believe that the more people who view my blogs the less peaceful I will feel, or I wouldn't bother. Nor do I favour one above the other. But I do think there is a certain serenity to communicating one's ideas, exposing them to scrutiny after which they still remain unseen.

2 comments:

CelloGeek said...

thank you for visiting my blog! I was glad to hear that you met Mick Malloy too! please post more about your cello playing.

CelloGeek said...

I meant Mick Lavelle, what was I thinking when I was typing?